Monday, March 28, 2016

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016): Review

Image result for batman v superman

This weekend the much anticipated movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice came out and I am happy to say that it was much better than I thought it would be. If you know me, you know that I tend to like big budget action movies and that I don't expect too much from these superhero movies (especially DC) so going in, as long as there wasn't anything really bad I was ready to be entertained and enjoy the experience. I think that this one is a good kick off to the spring/ summer movie season and did get me really excited to see what they will do with the Wonder Women and eventual Justice League movie.

Image result for batman v superman 

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice incorporates the Superman timeline, established in Man of Steel (2013) but brings Batman into the mix.  Batman (AKA Bruce Wayne), played by Ben Afflick, witnesses the destruction resulting from the battle between Superman (AKA Clark Kent), reprised by Henry Cavill, and General Zod in Man of Steel. During this time he is hardened against The Superman and does not believe that he is to be trusted because powerful good man don't stay good. They are brought together and become at odds due to pursuing their own agendas for justice and those around them, especially Lex Luther, played by Jesse Eisenburg.

Image result for batman v superman

This movie has a great ensemble cast but doesn't do a lot with many of the characters you are suppose to just know.  on the Superman side there is Amy Adams as Lois Lane, who in this movie is just fodder to keep the plot going and seems to make just stupid decisions and is around just to have Superman save her (I have been told that that is all Lois really does but I keep forgetting this about the charactering hoping for her to be likable). I could have used this movie without her and think that it would have easy to have her plot forwarding points without her. Laurence Fishborn as Perry White who was fine but nothing special and seemed there just to nag Clark that he is too focused on the Batman vigilante. Diane Lane as Martha Kent, Superman mother, she was able to bring in some emotion and caring to the movie and I can see why she furthered the movie. On Batman's side you mainly had Jeremy Irons as Alfred, Bruce's butler and helper, who for me was a fantastic version of Alfred. He was the only side kick/character for me that added to the movie and added some much needed humor to a completely too serious movie (they are superheroes people, this isn't Shakespeare).

Image result for batman v superman

Also involved was Holly Hunter, as Senator Finch, who is the character who creates strife for Superman as he tries to hold him accountable like humans have any control or say over what a basically invincible alien does and gives Lex someone to interact with in his attempt to scheme. One of the gems of this movie was the inclusion of Wonder Woman played by Gal Godot, who actually had some intrigue. I think the movie could have used more of her and I am now really really hoping the Wonder Women movies does justice to the excitement I now have for the possibility of this character.

Image result for batman v superman

This movie starts by establishing the Batman origin which I don't get why because at this point, who seeing this movie doesn't understand the Batman origin story. But then it expects you to remember what happened in Man of Steel and if other movie goers are more like me I know a lot more about the basic Batman origin story than Man of Steel which I haven't really watched since it came out in 2013.  Ben Affleck did a decent job as Batman, but I found Henry Carvil's Superman a bit annoying and superficial.

One great thing about this movie is it was great to watch and listen to. The cinematography, staging, choreography, sets, and specially effects were all of very good quality. I usually complain that the special affects take away from the movie and I can tell where they are but with this it was worked in very seamlessly and works very well. I think that it was shot well and even when it had close up shot fight sequences I didn't really notice until the second viewing (yes I saw it twice this weekend).  The music was well used and I think it was a great score. The only real complaint is that if you were watching this movie without knowing weather Lex was good or bad the music mad it clear.

Image result for batman v superman

The plot wasn't great but wasn't anything too annoying, the main complaint is that that the fight sequences were drawn out too much (not as much as Man as Steel), and when these sequences are drawn out the intensity plateaus for me and I don't get the emotional journal that I would like, I get a bit bored and just want it to continue on. While it dragged out the battles it did fast forward through some character developments or moments that could have been even more fantastic (I'm especially taking about the wonder woman role, and the Clark/ Bruce meet. It also tried to pull at your emotional heartstrings but did not connect with me as I didn't really believe what was happening and I hadn't connected to the person in the forefront with the emotion reaction (although usually the actor is very likeable and you care about their experiences, in this movie it just didn't work) [I hope that makes sense as I am trying to express my thoughts without giving away a major spoiler].

 Image result for batman v superman

Overall, I think the movie was good, and slightly above average. There was nothing super annoying about it and it was enjoyable to watch. It will be one that I can watch multiple times and thinks it has potential to build momentum in the following DC movie series. I am hoping that this is trigger more good movies to come and not the height of what can be expected. For anyone who is very particular about their love of certain aspects/ renditions of Batman movies you will not like it or are a comic book snob you will not like it. For those looking to like it and are ready to be pleased it is definitely worth seeing.

My Rating: 2+

Shutout to Detroit where it was filmed! And there is nothing after the credits (boo DC)

Image result for batman v superman

No comments:

Post a Comment