Sunday, October 22, 2017

Geostorm (2017): Review

Image result for geostorm

I am pleasantly surprised to say that Geostorm was much better than I excepted it to be. That is not saying that it was good or anything exceptional but it was enjoyable and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I can easily see myself gladly watching it should it come onto television in the future.

Image result for geostorm

Geostorm stars Gerald Butler as Jack Lawson, a brilliant person (I cant seen to remember specially what he was good at but know it at least included mechanics) who assisted and lead the development and operation of a world wide satellite net which counteracted extreme weather. If a tsunami or hurricane would destroy some part of the world the satellites would do their magic and prevent the cataclysmic weather event from causing damage or loss of life.  Due to his assholishness and insubordination Jack is removed from leadership of the satellite net, which is run from the international space station, by his brother Max, played by Jim Sturgess.  Three years later there are problems with the net and the satellites themselves are malfunctioning which looks like it might create a geostorm which would destroy the world. Jack is brought back in to find the glitch and discovers that it appears to be sabotage. Jack and Max have to figure out how to save the world while not knowing who is the saboteur working with them. Also staring: Abbie Cornish as Sarah Wilson, Max's girlfriend and secret service agent; Alexandra Maria Lara as Ute Fassbinder, the new leader of the satellite net; Andrew Garcia as President Palmer; Ed Harris as Secretary Leonard Dekkom; Zazie Beetz as Dana, Max's tech support; and Euginio Derbez as Al, Amr Waked as Ray, Robert Sheehen as Duncan, workers on the space station.

Image result for geostorm

First off there were several things that I found very distracting throughout the movie and just took me out of the experience. I don't know why the makers of this movie insisted on calling the net "Dutch Boy," yes, they give a reason for it in the film, but with this movie that is spouting other technical terms it was very weird hearing the term Dutch Boy over and over throughout the movie. I thought that this was just stupid and it could have been a much better name.  Also there were some weird hair styling choices, Max's haircut was bad and distracting. I don't get why someone just didn't style it better. He is suppose to be a man who is good at working the system and getting people to allow him to run the net but he has this really bad hair cut. He is an attractive man, it would have just been better if that extra hair by his collar was shorter. There were times where Ute's hair was up at some points and down at some points. I don't understand why the leader of the space station didn't have her hair consistent or in a style that consistently looked like she was maintaining regulations.  These points are not big, they were just distracting.

Image result for geostorm max\

I liked the cast and thought that all of the characters where well cast but there was no connection between the different characters. I don't think I have seen a movie where it didn't seem like people who have a strong history and relationships with each other just didn't have the chemistry come across on screen. On their own I really enjoyed most of the characters, I just wish that they would have played off of each other. Zazie Beetz and Eurginio Derbez were the best examples of doing a great job but having the responses of the others on screen with them were off and just as if they couldn't keep up with the great job these two were doing. I think the decisions on how to play Max were off, i don't think it was Jim Sturgess it seemed more like a directors choice. He just seemed really squirrely. As i stated above, he was suppose to be this government man who can put out fires and was given control of the satellite net. He just seemed really jittery and didn't have any polish that I would expect with a man who holds this type of position in the government.

Image result for geostorm max\

The plot was very simple and straight forward and there wasn't anything unique about what was happening, but it was a story that made sense and had a flow to it. I didn't go into watching this movie expecting it to be something that kept me on my toes or where I didn't know what was going to happen. I liked that it keeps it going and had a good pace and that there was a try at having a surprise, "oh no, I didn't see it being that person(s)." What was going on and the decisions each person made sense although there wasn't any development of the cast. People expecting something shocking or super exciting wouldn't like it, but if you are looking for just an entertaining stupid flick, they will enjoy it.

Image result for geostorm

There were several instances of shaky came and shots that were too close in, which is filmmaking that I do not like or want to see, but there were not too many of these. It was strange how at times, it seemed like the movie didn't care about killing lots and lots of people but then want you to care about select people for just a moment. It was hard to tell which characters I was suppose to care about being it situations where they might die or when i should just accept that this person is dying to further the plot and the characters i am suppose to connect with. Having lots of secondary characters made this more difficult as there wasn't much development or screen time spent with them.

 Image result for geostorm max\


The CGI was inconsistent throughout the movies, at times I was quite impressed by it, while at others it was bad.  I wasn't really expecting it to be that good at all so I was pleasantly surprised. That was the theme of my experience with this movie, I wasn't expecting much, so it being able to pull out an adequate movie, I quite enjoyed it. I would watch it again, but it would never be my favorite. I preferred this movie to many I have seen and never desire to see again, but can understand how it is going to fade into obscurity because there is nothing special or outstanding out bit.  It was enjoyable to watch and got me to engage in the story and care about how it was going to come together so I cannot regret spending the time watching it.

My Rating: 2

Image result for geostorm

No comments:

Post a Comment