Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Battle of the Movies: Easter Weekend

This upcoming weekend is Easter Weekend and with it comes several movie releases and none of them seem to be related to this holiday at all.  The first movie being released on Thursday, March 28th and is the new attempt at a kinda reboot, G.I Joe: Retaliation.  Being released on Friday, March is Tyler Perry's Temptation, The Host, and The Place Beyond the Pines.  To me these movies seem to be going for the more serious feel (as well as some action) and there isn't the wide spectrum of releases that have been seen in the past.  I expect there to be lower opening with these movies, as those interested in more family fun or comedies will be going for movies that have already been released and when I think of Easter movies, I tend to want something a bit more fun.  Anyway here of the trailers for the movies being released this weekend, I wonder which one will be the best.

Opening Thursday, March 28th
G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Genre: Action/ Adventure)

G.I Joe: Retaliation is a semi- reboot of G.I Joe: Rise of the Cobra but it keeps some of the same characters.  Channing Tatum returns as the Duke and is paired with Dwayne Johnson as Roadblock.  The preview shows that Joe's being attacked and destroyed with just a few of them surviving, those mentioned above included and they conclude that something is not alright in River City so they recruit retired General Joe Colton, played by Bruce Willis to take on the evil force of the Cobra Commander who has taken hold of the white house. There does not seem to be any connection or fallow through from the first movie and the trailer focuses on the action that will probably be a large focal point of the plot.  I am looking forward to this movie, as I like a OTT action movie and I didn't mind Rise of the Cobra as much as others.

Opening Friday, March 29
The Host (Genre: Thriller)


The Host is a movie adaptation of Stephanie Meyer's novel of the same name.  Which was her follow up book to The Twilight Saga.  This story is set in an Earth that has been taken over by aliens which use human beings as hosts to their consciousness.  They are a parasitic entity that take over worlds.  There are groups of humans who are resisting this take over and this story focuses on one of these resistance individuals who is captured, becomes a host and then is used to try and track down the remaining group of resistance. This alien tries to control this host but struggles with the memories, specifically of love this human has for another.  It is a struggle for earth and humanity.

Tyler Perry's Temptation (Genre: Drama, Thriller?)


Tyler Perry's Temptation is a Tyler Perry movie that does not star Tyler Perry, and in my opinion these tend to be better then those that do.  This one focuses on a young women who is tempted from her long term marriage by a billionaire who has set his sights on her.  The trailer suggests that due to this temptation, which I assume actually leads to cheating, completely disrupts her life and she struggles to find her way again.  It hints are intrigue and based on the trailer seems a little like a thriller.  I withhold judgement as Tyler Perry movies are extremely hit or miss.

The Place Beyond the Pines (Genre: Drama)


The Place Beyond The Pines, is the most recent Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper movie.  To me the title seems strange and does not really seem to have anything to do with what the trailer is portraying but it seems like it is trying to push an art house feel.  In this movie, Ryan Gosling stars as Luke, a young motorcycle ride who turns to robbing banks after he discovers that he is father to a son, while Bradley Cooper stars as Avery, a young police offer who gets caught up in the pursuit of Luke and the corruption of his fellow police officer. Based on the trailer, I think that the movie will be taking a very person centered approach to the story telling and there are a lot of places the story could go.  I want to see where this movie will go, but I do not thing there is enough information about what I should expect or plan for going in.  I know when I watch movies, I like to know what mind frame I need to be in to enjoy the experience.  I will see and let you know what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment