Sunday, November 17, 2013

Captain Phillips (2013): Review

This weekend I finally made it to see the new Tom Hanks movie, Captain Phillips.  It has been out for a while now, but there were some other movies that were higher on my list and things just didn't work out for me to see this movie before this weekend.  this fall the dramas have all been pretty good and this is continued with Captain Phillips and I had hopes for this movie because I like Tom Hanks movies and think that he is great at carrying a movie, and as he plays the title character it is important that he carries this movie.  He once again is a likable character and I found myself rooting for him, but knowing that he wasn't going to have a pleasant time.  Captain Phillips is based upon a true story but I haven't done any research on it so I don't know how true it is to what actually happens, but as the end of the movie gives an update I think it follows the main events pretty well.
Captain Phillips is a drama where a cargo ship is attached by Somalia pirates and is broken into two parts.  The first part is one the US-flagged MV Maersk Alabama where the crew is on a route to deliver their cargo and are boarded by these pirates and then the second part when Captain Philips is kidnapped and on the life boat with the four Somalians and being negotiated with by the US Navy.  The two parts of the movie go together as it is the sequence of events that happened but each has a different feel to them.  I liked both parts, the character interactions of the first part and the anticipation and anxiety of the second part. 
I think that this film was cast well and it is all centered on Tom Hanks as Captain Phillips.  I liked the mate of the ship Shane, played by Michael Chernus and found that I really liked the moments that he was on screen.  It takes a while to get the peril going, but this is needed because without it the movie would have felt like it didn't have a beginning.  Once there is interaction between Phillips and the main pirate Muse, played by Barkhad Abdi, the movie really starts to build up. 
I think that through the storytelling of this movie it was able to get me on the suspense of it and I was engrossed throughout the entire thing.  I didn't really know what was going to happen and there were enough things to keep me going oh and how is this going to end.  I really did like this movie.

My Rating: 3-

No comments:

Post a Comment