Monday, March 27, 2017

Power Rangers (2017): Review

Image result for power ranger 2017
***Some slight spoilers but nothing more then basic content of television show**

Ever since I first saw the preview for the new Power Rangers movie I was excited to see it. It is a combination of a big budget action movie which I love and Mighty Morphin Power Ranger television show which is a show that I watched a lot of the original series growing up. Although I used to watch the television show a lot as a child it has been a while since I watched it and I am not familiar with many of the different variations. I like that it is a reboot but that it keeps the same names of the characters. This movie went for a lot and I am sorry to say it didn't really meet the expectations of what it was going for but it was still enjoyable. It would have been nice if the plot flowed a little better but the movie tried a bit too much to go for a serious movie.

Image result for power ranger 2017

Power Rangers is a reboot of the 1993 television show where five teenagers; Jason, played by Dacre Montgomery; Kimberly, played by Naomi Scott; Billy, played by RJ Cyler; Zack, played by Ludi Lin; and Trini, played by Becky Z, are recruited by an alien entity Zordon, played by Bryan Cranson, to become Power Rangers to save the world for Rita Repulsa, played by Elizabeth Banks. In this version, Zordon is the original Red Ranger who was fighting Rita on Earth during the time of the dinosaurs.  He sacrifices himself and buries the morphers that are the where power of the rangers come from and are responsible for selecting the next power rangers. When Rita is returned to power, the teenagers find the buried morphers which give them strength and abilities to become the new team of Power Rangers. They have to work together to connect as a team and train in order to become the team they need to be in order to take on Rita. They are assisted by Alpha 5, voiced by Bill Hader, and Zordon who has been incorporated into the computer of the space ship.

Image result for power ranger 2017

This movie really, really tired to pull me in for an emotional connection with the characters and what they are going though. I wish that the movie didn't really do this and just went with the story as it is a about kids that find crystals and an alien ship that turn them into superhero's where they use Zords (robots shaped like dinosaurs). The first half of the movie kept trying to be a serious big budget movie but then for the last act it incorporated some of the camp of the television show but this didn't go along the same felling of the beginning and middle of the movie. I wish that it was just more camp all the way around and just went for it. It just didn't feel like the movie knew what kind of movie it wanted to be.

 Image result for power ranger 2017

There was over acting galore and there was some chemistry between the characters but it really felt forced. How the Rangers get thrown together and how they are all misunderstood by everyone around them doesn't feel genuine. The only story I connected with and thought worked was for Zack. Almost all of the interactions between the team besides the around the fire scene was just weird. I enjoyed Elizabeth Banks as Rita but would have liked her outfit to more her classic red then the green they movie went with but I understand why this change was made. She was OTT but in a good way and although she was silly I enjoyed it.

 Image result for power ranger 2017

Overall this movie was fine but there wasn't anything really memorable about it. As I am writing this I am struggling to remember specifics about the movie. This means that there was nothing that I hated or really didn't like about the movie but it means there was nothing special about it. I would have preferred if it went more tween, family, campy film with the movie but I know that it is hard to do that now days with movies where the main characters fight.

My Rating: 2-

Image result for power ranger 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment