Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Fate of the Furious (2017): Review

Image result for the fate of the furious poster 2017

weekend the newest installment of the Fast and the Furious Franchise came out and I am very glad to say this is one of the better movies of the series. I always tend to like crappy, big budget, over the top, flashy, action movies and this one satisfied what I wanted to see. I have been a fan of the Fast and the Furious movies since the first one was released in 2001. There were some mis-steps (I still don't like Dwayne "The Rock:" Johnson being incorporated into the series and he was in over acting form) and lots of the "twists" were obvious. But then again I don't go to see Fast and the Furious movies for good acting or realistic plots, I go for fun, high-jinks, rapport between characters, and car race scenes. If you plan to see this movie and enjoy the series this movie is definitely worth seeing in the theatres. You don't even have to wait a full minute into it to see the hot girls in front of cars, shot from below moment that has become a staple of these movie.

Image result for the fate of the furious

Like the last few movie installments of this series, The Fate and the Furious expects you to remember what has happened in the previous movies and timeline as well as recognize the characters (even some who had bit parts and haven't been around for a while) one site.  I don't think it matters if you don't really remember how the characters play in, just remember that if it looks like a moment that you should get, it is a reference to the moments that have already happened. Having a general understanding of the previous movies is enough to keep it going. As the plot is just enough to keep the movie moving forward it doesn't really matter much.

Image result for the fate of the furious

The Fate and the Furious bring back Dom, played by Vin Diesel; Letty, played by Michelle Rodriguez; Roman, played by Tyrese Gibson; Tej Parker, played by Ludacris; Ramsey, played by Nathalie Emmanuel; Hobbs, played by Dwayne Johnson; Deckard, played by Jason Statham; and Mr. Nobody, played by Kurt Russell. And brings in Charlize Theron as Cipher and Scott Eastwood as Little Nobody. Basically the team is brought together to do a job but during this job Dom turns rogue and goes off to work with Cipher. The team who is now working with Deckard (who also wants to get Cipher) to go up against Dom and prevent what Cipher has been planning while figuring out why Dom tuned.  How all of this occurs isn't hard to figure out and while watching the movie it didn't even seem like it was trying to hid anything. Although the plot was just enough to keep the movie going, I still enjoyed the process.

   Image result for the fate of the furious wallpaper

I could tell that money was put into the production value, and the effects, stunts, and sequences were all very well done. I enjoyed the cinematography and how everything flowed together. The sequences where different enough that I didn't get tired of one type of shot and there was a lot going on but it was still easy enough to follow. The only real complaint that I have is that there was a bit of shaky cam work at times and tight shots but overall nothing that I found too distracting or annoying. The pacing was good.

 Image result for the fate of the furious

The acting was on par with the previous movies and overall the whole cast continues to have good comradely and chemistry. Michelle Rodrigues continues to be wooden, Dwayne Johnson continues to overact and these really stuck out with the high production value of the movie. I didn't like Charlize Theron and there seemed to be something weird going on with her face. I can't tell if it is due to plastic surgery or what she was going for but I didn't like it. She didn't seem scary or bad or interesting in anyway. She was set up to be this mastermind but I didn't get that feeling from her. I much preferred the chemistry and dynamic with Rhodes, played by Kristopher Hivju.

Image result for the fate of the furious



Overall I enjoyed this movie and it has gotten me hyped to go back and watch the series again although I didn't rate all of the movies as highly as I did this one. It was worth watching in the theaters because the chase/ race sequences are good on the big scene and it has lots of explosions and such which were fun.

My Rating: 3-

I liked how they handled not including the late Paul Walker and liked that they didn't just ignore him not being there.

Image result for the fate of the furious

No comments:

Post a Comment