Thursday, June 27, 2013

Epic (2013): Review

I have been wanting to see Epic but it was a bit lower on my priorities then some of the bigger movies that have come out recently but today I was able to go see it.  It was a nice kids movie and worth a watch but it wasn't really worth going to see it in theatres.  I think it is a shame that this one probably isn't as high on the list for kids to see as well, with the other bigger deal animated movies coming out about now.
Prior to going to see this movie, and whenever I saw the previews, I would be reminded of the movie FernGully: The Last Rainforest (1992).  I am a child of the nineties so FernGully was a part of that childhood (and college life) so I was hoping that this movie would be good.  Yes, this movie was reminiscent of FernGully but not too similar to annoy me.
The story line, involves M.K. getting shrunk down to the size of the Leafman and evil Boggans.  She is drawn into their battle of the Leafman trying to keep balance of the forest and the Boggans trying to take over and destroy the forest. 
I went and saw it in 3D and it used a lot of falling, flying through things, specifically the forest, and after all of the bigger budget action movies, it was nice to see it done this way instead of lots of things blowing up or being destroyed. The storyline was lacking, but it keeps it movie along.  I felt that the movie was trying to get you attached to the characters but this never really happens and to me the connection between the characters felt a little forced.  Like I said it was a fine family film but nothing that special.

My Rating: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment