Friday, June 28, 2013

The Heat (2013): Review

Tonight for my Friday Night Movie Night I went to see The Heat and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Going in, it looked funny and I tend to like Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy but I am not usually one for crude humor.  Like I said it was very enjoyable and funny and I would recommend for anyone who tends to like comedy movies to go and see this one.
The Heat stars Sandra Bullock as FBI Special Agent Sarah Ashburn, who is disliked by many of her coworkers for her cocky attitude and poor interpersonal skills.  She gets on a case in Boston where she is working with local cop Shannon Mullins, played by Melissa McCarthy, who is OTT abrasive.  Both women do not play well with others and are aggressive in their own way but they have to learn to work together to take down a local drug boss.  Lots of inappropriate and awkward situations ensue as they see if they can come together and rely on each other to get the job done and catch the bad guy.
This movie had lots of moments that were funny but I did not laugh out loud as much as I could have, I think this is due to the movie leaning toward the type of humor that I don't usually prefer, which is putting people in an awkward situations and laughing because of the awkwardness.  Although this movie used some of it, it mainly relied on the ridiculousness of the characters and how they interacted with each other and the people around them, more then the situations there are in.  I overall liked how Bullock and McCarthy played off each other and I think that there were moments where McCarthy was really funny.  The down side of this movie was the pacing and timing was off at times, this seemed more to be about editing then acting, especially when the dialogue keep going while the audience was laugh and therefore some of what was going on was missed.  Also there were not the moments in the trailer that I was hoping to see in the movie, the scenarios were there but the dialogue was not.
Side note- I would be curious to hear from other people around the country if there was some differences in the movie in different geographical locations.  During a moment where Ashburn and Mullins were in the car, over the radio there was commentary about a Detroit Tigers Baseball team.  I am assuming that this was because I was watching the movie in the Metro Detroit area. Anyone who watched it else where, was it changed to your local team?  Please let me know and I will be interested to see what will be in the DVD release.
I recommend this movie to anyone who likes adult comedies that use profanity and ridiculous situations.  This is not for anyone who does not find this type of humor.  Basically if you didn't think the trailers were funny this movie is not for you.

My Rating: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment