Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pacific Rim (2013): Review

Today I went and saw Pacific Rim and I am excited to say that it delivered and was better then I thought it was going to be.  It was able to have everything that I want in an big budget action movies and although some of the action sequences where a bit drawn out it was well balanced with all of its components. Plus there were giant robots fighting lizard aliens, how is that not awesome.
Anyway to the synopsis.  As we come into the movie, the background is set up, it includes some information that were in the trailers and some that were not.  Basically aliens, called Kaiju, started attaching the world from a chasm in the ocean and the world decided to come together to cream huge human controlled robots, called Jaegers, to fight the aliens. Raleigh Becket, played by Charlie Hunnam, is a pilot for one of these Jaegers along with his brother and they have to fight a Kaiju, during this battle Becket's brother is killed but he is able to take the alien down.  in the aftermath of his brothers death he gives up the piloting Jaegers but is brought back into the fold when the world needs him to try and stop the Kaiju for good.  Along the way he gets a new co-pilot, Mako Mori, played by Rinko Kikuchi, and has to come to the aid of the Jaeger team, while the world is being attacked and under certain doom.
There are multiple side characters, such as the doctors and other Jaeger pilots which add some fun moments as well as more tension through interpersonal interactions but I think that they were able to work together in harmony.  They were given their own moments but they worked within the movie to continue the pace well.  I really liked Ron Pearlman as Hannibal Chau, and it took me a while to figure out where I knew some of the actors from, as none of them besides Pearlman and Idris Elba seemed to be that big of stars until I realized it used actors from one of my favorite television shows Revenge. Many of the actors in this movie seemed to be recognizable from different television shows.
Anywho, like I said this movie, really gave me what I like in an action movie, there were big fights between aliens and robots.  If this doesn't bring glee to you, then you need to look at that, do I need to say it again, it was Giant Robots fighting Giant Lizard Aliens, this is awesome.  There were people who were funny with several zingers and fun moments.  There was a slight romantic tension, but this was not the main focus, just another layer added in.  There was interpersonal dynamics and some back story without getting too in depth or taking away from the pace of the story. There was some explanation into the science of the aliens and the drifting (ways the pilots interacted with each other and the robot) but it was just enough to keep it going but didn't get too caught up in making it plausible.
I really enjoyed this movie and for me it was able to stand with the other action movies that were released this spring and I enjoyed it more then some of them.  I recommend this to anyone who likes action movies, big budget movies, fighting movies, or just a fun not serious time at the cinema.

Additional note- there is an extra scene during the credits that it worth seeing.

My rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment