Saturday, May 24, 2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014: Review

Last night for Friday Night Movie Night we went and saw the new X-Men movie Days of Future Past and I am happy to say that although it was quite confusing at time it was a very entertaining and good X-Men movie.  Definitely one of the best of the X-Men movies and it had a lot of Easter eggs (many that I didn't get) and the incorporation between the two different casts was pretty great. My main criticism is that it expected you to really remember what happened in many of the previous X-Men movies so during the film I was trying to remember what had come before (and it has been a while for me since I saw them) and get the reference which was kinda important to what was going on in this movie. I would have like some of it spelled out a bit more as an audience member about background but there was a lot of info that they had to give you for the Sentinel story line so they were giving quiet at bit of the science information of how it is all possible.  When I watch movies I don't really care about the science making actual sense in the real world and how all the working fit together, I much prefer when the focus is on story and character then how all of the super stuff happens.
Days of Future Past links together all of the previews X-Men movies with a sort of time travel.  In the Future after the X Trilogy the Sentinels have destroyed the world and are hunting the remaining mutants. They were created to hunt out and kill mutants by identifying their mutant genes but had evolved to hunt out humans with the possibility of having mutant descendants therefore destroying the whole world.  They have the ability to adapt to mutant powers due to having the ability to change that was added to them based on Mystique's mutant power.  In this future we have the older generation of mutants from the X trilogy which include Charles Xavier, played by Patrick Stewart; Magneto, played by Ian McKellen; Wolverine, played by Hugh Jackman; and Kitty Pryde, played by Ellen Page.  Kitty has been able to keep her group of friends safe with her ability to send someones consciousness back into their old bodies but has only been able to do a few days because of the destruction of the mind and body.  Because Wolverine can heal himself it is decided that she will send him back to 1973 during the time where the sentinel program was approved because Mystique, played by Jennifer Lawrence, killed the creator Dr. Trask, played by Peter Dinklage, demonstrating to the world at large that mutants are dangerous to humans.  Logan must convince 1973 Charles, played by James McAvoy, and Eric, played Michael Fassbender, to work together and prevent this from happening before the world of the future is destroyed. Other important 1973 players are Beast, played by Nicholas Hoult, and Quicksilver, played by Evan Peters.
Like I said I really enjoyed this movie and it was a fun action movie.  It went a little overboard with all of the stuff in it, like what I said before but that was my only real criticism.  I really liked that cast and yes they brought in a lot of stuff and information but it all kinda fit together and the film itself kept movie and didn't get bogged down.  I liked how the two separate time frames of the movie came together.  This movie is definitely worth watching for anyone who has seen all the other X-Men movies but may be hard to understand by people who do not have a basic understanding of what happened in the movies. You didnt need to know everything but a basic understanding of what is going on is needed.
I went an saw this movie in 3D and I am really starting to forget that I am watching movies in 3D while in there because it so common now, I don't think it is necessary to see it in 3D but some of the side scale shots were impressive with their dimension.  Overall the CG was good except for the train ties.

My Rating: 3+

No comments:

Post a Comment