Friday, May 24, 2013

Fast & Furious 6 (2013): Review

Tonight I went and saw Fast & Furious 6 and I was hoping that it would be alright but it did not really meet my expectations. My expectations where not that high, as I like the Fast and Furious franchise and it is quite low on plot and high on chasing.  This movie did have a lot of action and went from sequence to sequence with little concern to focus on the stringing together or plot/character development.
Fast & Furious 6 starts with flashbacks of the previous movies that would make absolutely no sense to anyone who didn't see the movie and I feel that this movie took too long introducing what was going on.  I think it was a little too convoluted and I think it would have been better if the plot wasn't twisted to bring back Letty, played by Michelle Rodriguez.  This might be because I am not a fan of Rodriguez as an actress and I think that she is very flat when acting, plus her voice seemed different then it was in the past. Anyway, it felt really forced to bring here back and I think it would have been better to just bring the crew back together and kept going in a forward motion with the story instead of trying to recapture the past.
Fast & Furious 6 brings back the main character's from Fast Five and has Don (Vin Diesel) and Brian (Paul Walker) coming together to help Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) to stop thief's from stealing something that would be very bad. This wasn't explained that much.  They are motivated by the knowledge of Letty being alive and working for this new crew but that she has lost her memory and doesn't know any of them.  Lots of fights and actions sequences are abound.
Like I said I felt that the story was convoluted and it just didn't really work to bring back Letty and I think that there were too many characters.  The number of characters were difficult to follow and I even know the previous stories.  For people who do not know the main characters and the stories from the other movies, this move will be quite confusing.  I didn't like that the focus was not on driving and racing.  It seemed like it was more focused on just being an action movie and not a racing action movie.  I didn't like how there were so many hand to hand fight scenes.  When I think Fast and Furious I think of racing and cars, not action stars who can fight.  I wanted the actors behind their cars more. 
The plot didn't really flow and some of the things thrown in where cliche and just there to string the action scenes above.  It also did the thing that I don't like, where the action is really tight and it is hard to watch because of it.  The positive is that it didn't try to go for 3D, it was just regular 2D.  I think it would have been better if it went back to the core of these movies and focused on the cars and the chase. I do not think there was need to focus on Dwayne Johnson and I am tired of him being thrust into other franchise, he is not needed in every action movie or franchise. This goes back to the negatives of the hand to hand fights.
The positives are that besides the first ten minutes it was exciting and had lots of things blowing up and being smashed.  It seemed like destruction was key in this movie and I like a good action scene.  Surprisingly the majority of the interactions of the cast (excluding Rodriquez and Johnson) was fantastic.  I liked the quips and comments that they threw at each other were great nuggets sprinkled through out and I especially enjoyed the interactions between Tyrese and Ludacris.
I am hoping that for the next installment, the production craziness is dialed back and the focus is on the character interactions (who's chemistry is great) and the car chases.  These characters are not action spy guys. The end of movie shows where Fast & Furious will go from and how the cast of characters has been pruned.
Although I was slightly bummed that it was not as The Fast & The Furious that I would have liked to have scene, this movie keep the action and adrenaline up and was worth the watch for those who like actions movies with little development or substance and it was enough to make me want to go back and watch the series which I own on DVD.

My Rating: 2-

No comments:

Post a Comment