Sunday, February 16, 2014

Winter's Tale (2014): Review


Tonight I went and saw a double feature and because it is Valentines Day weekend I wanted to see something that was romance based and I am glad to say that overall I liked Winter's Tale.  Going in I wasn't really sure what to expect as the previews were a little confusing, and although I liked the movie overall you have to let go of some of the gaps and just go with it.
Winter's Tale is a movie adaptation of Mark Helprin's 1983 book of the same name.  It stars Colin Farrell as  thief Peter Lake, a man who was brought to New York City as a baby and grew up on the streets being mentored by Pearly Soames, played by Russell Crowe, who is a demon trying to stop humans from using their internal miracles to save the people around him. In 1915 as Peter is trying to lay low from being pursued by Pearly and his men he meets and falls in love with Beverly Penn, played by Jessica Brown Findlay.  This book jumps back and forth between present day 2014 and 1915.  In 1915 Pearly is trying to prevent Peter from saving Beverly who is dying of Consumption and 2014 where Peter doesn't know who he is and trying to find out why he is still wandering the streets of New York City.


Like I said overall I liked this movie but it is a movie that you have to let go and go with the story.  There are some jumps that you have to do as a audience member and not get stuck with wanting everything to make sense.  This movie that takes a while to get going and also sorta ends quickly and wraps up when I would have liked it to take a bit longer to get there and given me a bit more.  Although this story happens at two different times, there is much more time spent on the 1915 timeline and doesn't really spend much time of the present day.  I think this bugged me a bit more then it could have because the previews of this movie away what happens in the 1915 story and therefore there was all this screen time spent on the part of the story that I knew what was going to happen.  I know that this movie was made out of a book, but it wasn't a book that the story is common knowledge so they could have held back with what was going to happen so I was more engaged during that part.  This being said I really liked the connection between Collin Farrell and Jessica Brown Findley and think that they worked very well off of each other.

Although this movie was released on Valentines day and has the love each other with their whole being thing between the Peter and Beverly, this movie is more about seeking destiny and the fantastical.  I did enjoy this movie and think it is worth watching for those who like movies that are about fantasy and seeking out destiny.  It is more of a family film but also has some dark elements to it without being scary.

My Rating: 2+

No comments:

Post a Comment