Monday, April 8, 2013

Undercover Blues (1993)

Growing up I loved to watch movies that were fun and when I think of the movie Undercover Blues I think of a fun family movie. This movie has a little bit of all that I have learned that I love in movies, now that I have grown up to now what I like. A little action, smart banter between characters, a story that movies along, fun, and ridiculousness that done in a tongue and cheek way.

Undercover Blues stars Dennis Quaid and Kathleen Turner as Jeff and Jane Blue, two spies that are vacationing in New Orleans after they have had a baby. While there, they become the focus of two local detectives, Lt. Theodore 'Ted' Sawyer, played by Obba Babatundé, and Det. Sgt. Halsey, played by Larry Miller, after it is discover that Jeff Blue defeated a local thug Muerte, played by Stanley Tucci. Muerte attempts to rob Jeff while he is out taking a stroll with his baby daughter. The real shenanigans start when Jeff and Jane are recruited to set up Paulina Novacek, played by Fiano Shaw, after she stole a case of plastic explosives. Throughout there tracking of Novacek, Muerte is trying to kill Jeff for humiliating him during his attempted mugging and Lt. Sawyer is focused on discovering what the Blue's are really doing in New Orleans.

As I was growing up I loved this movie, and it was one of the movie that I repeated rented, rented to the point that I figured I should spend my money to but the tape, so I did. Today, when I want to watch a care free movie I pick this one. More recently when I watched this after several years of it being in my DVD case, I came to the pleasant discovery that Stanley Tucci is in it. I think that Stanley Tucci is a fabulous actor, especially when he is being over the topic, which his character of Muerte definitely is.

Undercover blues on the surface is a comedy but it also has some fun action scenes in them. Many of these are between Jeff and Muerte, where Muerte is trying to kill Jeff, and Jeff playing with him because he is a trained spied who could easily defeat him, he likes to mess with him and call him Morty, and he is manipulating Muerte to help him in his scheme to get Novacek. There is lots of fun dialogue and banter back and forth between the character's in this movie and it seems like Jeff is always saying something smart with the intention of getting others to underestimate him, so that he can get the result that he wants. After this movie, I developed my joy of Dennis Quaid and to this day I still enjoy watching him in fun movies.

My Rating: 2+

My Nostalgic Rating: 3
One of my favorite movies growing up and I used to watch it all the time.

Holding Up Rating: 2-
The technology doesn't hole up at all, and today tracking a person's location would be no big deal.  But due to it being more of a chracter movie then acutal spy movie, it doesnt bother me at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment