Saturday, October 26, 2013

Carrie (2013): Review

Today I went and saw the new remake of the Halloween classic Carrie.  Based on the previews I wasn't expecting much and it barely met those limited expectations.  The main negatives about this movie for me was that it was pretty boring and not at all scary.  While watching it I kinda thought I was rated PG-13 because of its not really going for it with the scary and destruction but it is a rated R movie.
Carrie (2013) is a remake of the original 1976 movie and is based off of the Stephen King1974 book of the same name.  It is based around a young girl Carrie, played by Chloë Grace Moretz, who was born to a religious zealot mother Margaret, played by Julianne Moore, who is mentally unstable and focused on how women and the world are full of sin and need to repent.  She shelters Carrie who is then ostracized and made fun of at school.  She discovers that she is telekinetic but all she wants to do is be normal and accepted by other kids.  She is bullied by other girls and a mean video of this incident is taken, one of the girls who feels bad gets her boyfriend to take Carrie to prom, where a bunch of other kids conspire against Carrie to get her voted prom queen where they dump a bucket of pigs blood on her. At this point, Carrie loses it and goes on a killing spree of all the people who were mean to her.
It has been many years since I saw the original Carrie and all watching this version of it makes me want to go back and watch the first one. Like I mentioned earlier to me the main annoying thing about this movie is that it was really kinda sluggish in pace.  I kept wanting it to be more exciting, or thrilling, or scary.  It really didn't have anything that was really that interesting. The acting was over the top and melodramatic, but that was expected, the bulling was there but not pushed as far as it could have been, and the end scene seemed more focused on Carrie's covered in blood silhouette then cranking up the destruction.  Basically to me this is not worth seeing, just go back and watch the original.

My Rating: 1 

No comments:

Post a Comment