Friday, December 28, 2012

Silver Linings Playbook (2012): Review

Tonight for my Friday Night Movie, I went and saw Silver Linings Playbook and loved it.  It has been a while since I enjoyed a drama as much as this one and was really excited after watching a non action movie. Action has seemed like it has been the attention grabber go to, of movies this year.
Silver Linings Playbook follows Pat, played by Bradley Cooper, and Tiffany, played by Jennifer Lawrence, as they build a relationship, while struggling with their mental illness and personal issues.  Pat has just been taken out of a psychiatric hospital by his mother, after he physically assaulted the man who he caught having an affair with his wife and Tiffany is dealing with the accidental death of her husband.  Pat is convinced that he is fine and is trying to prove that he will fix the relationship with his wife, who has a restraining order against him. Pat and Tiffany form a relationship in which they start out using each other and as they move through this process they discover that they have come to rely on and support each other.
This movie was barely controlled chaos and shows all of the characters flaws as they struggle with their own difficulties and denial.  It was such ridiculousness that it was awesome. My attention was kept throughout the movie and I just wanted to see what was going to added to the mix next. I was pulled into the struggles of the characters and the genuine quality of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence and they went back and forth with each other.  They played well off each other and I found myself rooting for them, especially because they were so damaged and just needed to connect with someone.  As a counselor, I wasn't distracted by how they played the mental illness and I like that it wasn't taken too far or seriously caricatured.  There were moments of humor and cinematic license but I think that it worked for the overall effect of this movie.  Like I said, I really enjoyed this movie and look forward to seeing it again, in order to be able to better pay attention to the nuances of the characters and their interactions with each other.

My Rating: 3+

No comments:

Post a Comment