Saturday, December 15, 2012

Spotlight: White Christmas (1954)

Tonight I went to see White Christmas at The Motor City Theatre Organ Society's Redford Theatre and it was a joy to see on the big screen.  White Christmas follows Bob Wallace (Bing Crosby) and Phil Davis (Danny Kaye) a preforming duo who become involved with Betty (Rosemary Clooney) and Judy Haynes (Vera Ellen) in a plot to bring business to a remote Vermont inn owned by Wallace and Davis' retired army general (Dean Jagger). Although it was not the first movie where White Christmas the song was sung, it is the movie that made it a household favorite.
White Christmas has been a Christmas staple in my family and it is tradition to watch as we put up and decorate the Christmas Tree.  Whenever I watch this film, it remind me of the joy of family and spending the holiday together. Although this movie is dated and obviously set in a post WWII era, it demonstrates the importance of coming together and being there for those we care about and helping a friend in need.  This is a film that I enjoy watching over and over and helps me into the Holiday Spirit. I recommend that anyone who has not watch this to make a point to see it, especially if you enjoy the schmaltzy Christmas movie.
The experience of watching this on the big screen allowed me to see the little things that I had not noticed before and the nuances of the acting displayed by the actors specifically Danny Kaye. His facial expressions and physical accents add to the overall awesomeness of this movie.

My Rating: 3

 

No comments:

Post a Comment