Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Battle of the Movies: What to watch on Labor Day Weekend

With Labor Day weekend coming up there will be lots of time to fit in a movie, especially around the Detroit area, if the weather thunder storms like the forecast predicts. Although there are limited movies that come out this week (nation wide one of Wednesday and one of Friday) there are a lot of movies that come out in August and gives lots of choices across the board. I have been surprised that many of the ones I have seen have been enjoyable as for me August tends to not be the best month for movies, after the summary blockbusters and before the big holiday/ award season push.  See below for different movies that are available to be seen, what I think about the ones I have seen and the ones that I am planning to see over the weekend.
 
Family Fun/ Children

Disney's Planes: This seems to be very similar to the Cars movie but is set from the perspective of planes.  It focuses on Dusty, a plan who wants to be a big shot air racer.  I have not seen this one but it is definitely geared for the younger children.

Percy Jackson an the Sea of Monsters: In this movie, we meet back up with Percy and his friends at Camp Half Blood.  When the camp is under treat, Percy, his friends and newly discovered Cyclops brother go on a quest to get the Golden Fleece.  All the time trying to prevent Luke from his own devious plans. I really liked this movie as a family film and would recommend it for families that have younger children.  To read my full review click the link here http://myreviewsbyjane.blogspot.com/2013/08/percy-jackson-sea-of-monsters-2013.html

Turbo: Turbo is another animated movie, this time about a snail who just wants to be fast and compete in car races.  After he gain the power of super-speed he tries to make it as a racer and along the way he meets some friend and shenanigans ensue.  I have not seen this one, as there were other movies higher on my list, but if I had to pick a animated film right now it would be this one.  Let me know if it is any good let me know.

Comedy

Kick Ass 2: This movie follow up where the first one ends with the Red Mist wanting to get revenge for his father's death and sets out to get Kick Ass and Hit Girl.  Also included in the mix is a plethora of other costumed vigilantes.  I have not seen this movie, but I am planning to see it as I want to see what they made of it, but am not really expecting that much from it.  Although it is heavy of the action, I still think of it as more of a dark-satire.

We're the Millers: In his movie a man recruits a fake family to help him smuggle drugs across the boarder into the united states.  He choses a stripper as his wife, a runaway as his daughter, and a virgin as his son.  I am uncertain if I want to see this one and will probably wait until it comes out on television.

The World's End: This is part three of the Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright Cornetto trilogy. It is about five friends that come back together and go back to their hometown to try and make complete the epic local pub crawl.  While there are there they discover that the town is being taken over by aliens.  I liked this movie and enjoy the entire trilogy.  See my full review here http://myreviewsbyjane.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-worlds-end-2013-review.html

Horror/ Fantasy/ Thriller/ Action

Closed Circuit: Relapsed on Wednesday, August 28th, this movie follows the set up of lies and secrets after an explosion in a busy London Market.  Two lawyers, with a history, are against each other and drawn into a potential cover up and dangerous situation.  This one sees interesting and if anyone sees it before me, let me know if it is worth a watch.

Elysium: This one was pretty bad and unless you really want to see it, I would recommend one of the others.  This one is about a man who lives on poverty ridden earth who is trying to find a way to break into the space station Elysium where the rich live and where they have the medical technology to save his life.  See my full review here http://myreviewsbyjane.blogspot.com/2013/08/elysium-2013-review.html

Get Away: This movie comes out on Friday, August 30th, and is about a man who is blackmailed and has to race against time to get her safely back.  Also involved is a young women who gets drawn into this danger and trouble to see if he can get things done and save his wife.  This one I am planning to see with my father and brother but as there has not been a whole lot of promotion so I am not certain how good it will be.

Grandmaster: This movie is about martial arts and the grandmaster who trained Bruce Lee. I expect a lot of great cinematography and martial arts sequences in this movie.  I am looking forward to seeing it.

Mortal Instruments: City of Bones: I enjoyed this movie and this is the latest paranormal teen flick.  It is definitely for the teenage girl and anyone who likes these types of movies should go see it.  It follows Clary as she discovers her mother is a Shadow hunter who has been on the run and trying to protect her from evil that is coming for her.  See my full review here http://myreviewsbyjane.blogspot.com/2013/08/mortal-instruments-city-of-bones-2013.html

Paranoia: This movie was pretty cookie cutter but not super horrible.  It is about a young man who is put in a situation where he has to lie and sleuth to try and get out of a spot that he has been blackmailed into.  He goes undercover at a rival technology firm to try and steal their new designs for his old employer.  See my full review here http://myreviewsbyjane.blogspot.com/2013/08/paranoia-2013-review.html

You're Next: This is the horror movie that is out right now.  It seems to be basically what the title states.  It is a home invasion horror movie that I have no intention of seeing for two reasons. 1) I don't really like horror movies and 2) I don't like horror movies that just try to outdo each other in the gore/shock value plus I don't really need nightmares about people coming into my house and killing me.

Drama

Lee Daniels' The Butler: This movie follows a back butler who went from living on a cotton farm in the south, where a white man could kill a black man with no consequences to become a long standing butler in the White House.  It follows his challenges to better himself, take care of his family, and struggle with his son who has a different viewpoint on life.  I really liked this movie and recommend it to be seen, but understand that it may be difficulty with some with the language and discrimination.  See my full review here http://myreviewsbyjane.blogspot.com/2013/08/lee-daniels-butler-2013-review.html

Jobs: This is a movie about the life and career of Steve Jobs, one of the founders of Apple Computers.  It follows him through the initial launch and building of the company, how he was boxed out, and then bought back to revitalize the company.  I am looking forward to seeing this movie and hope that it is good. My review should be up this weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment