Thursday, August 22, 2013

Hot Fuzz (2007): Review

Tonight I watched the second installment of the Cornetto Trilogy, 2007s Hot Fuzz.  My sister decided to join me and we watched it in preparation of the release of part three, The World's End this weekend. Hot Fuzz is represented by the blue original Cornetto and in this one you see both Nick Frost and Simon Pegg eat one.
Like I said when reviewing Shaun of the Dead, if you don't know, Cornettos are a packaged ice cream cone sold in the united kingdom that come in different flavors.  For my fellow Americans it is similar to the drumstick ice cream treat.  Hot Fuzz's blue original is in reference to the police element of the film.
In Hot Fuzz,  Simon Pegg plays Police Sargent Nickolas Angel, a by the books police officer who is shipped from London to Sandford, a rural town in Gloucestershire, because his arrest record and no nonsense ways are making the other officers look bad.  While in Sandford, he discovers that things are not like they are in London and the police force is full of different characters. There he meets PC Danny Butterman, played by Nick Frost, and reluctantly becomes friends with him.  While settling in he comes across an alarmingly number of accidents resulting in peoples death and discovers a conspiracy that is much bigger then he originally thought.  Can he pull the force together and rely on Danny to help him out.
I like Hot Fuzz and watching it back again, I noticed many things that I has forgotten about the film, many of the positive, some of them not so much.  I like that this movie is full of references to other shoot um up movies and has a lot of action in it. The violence is over the top and out of place with the movie, but that is the point.  I really like the banter between Pegg and Frost and of course there chemistry comes through once again.  There are a lot of jokes and one liners that I very much enjoy.  There is also quite a bit of vulgar language.  Upon this re-watching, I discovered that there is a lot of the tight shot action sequences that annoy me so much, and that have become the stable in recent years, and I didn't really remember this from before, but that could be due to not discovering my great annoyance at the time.
Basically I like this movie and think anyone who likes Simon Pegg, or the other parts of the Cornetto Trilogy should see this movie.  I don't think it is as much of a cultural significance of Shawn of the Dead, but I think that it falls into the more general category of action movie, as oppose to Zombie film that Shaun is.

My Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment