Friday, August 23, 2013

The World's End (2013): Review

Today I went and saw The World's End, which is the third part of the Cornetto Trilogy.  The Cornetto Trilogy is a series of movies written by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright and staring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.  This one is represented by the mint chocolate chip Vornetto, with the green representing the aliens.
I was expecting a lot from this movie, as I am a fan of both Shaun of the Dead (2004) and Hot Fuzz (2007) and I wanted to see what they would do with this one.  I think that this movie met my expectations in many ways but there were also parts that I didn't particulate like.  This movie was still fun and worth watching (if you are a fan of the other cornetto movies) but it is probably my least favorite of the three. I will tell you why alter on.
In The World's End, Simon Pegg plays Gary King, who is a bit of a screw up and feels like his life has never been as good as his last day of school, where he and his four friends attempted to do the Golden Mile but never made it to the last pub, The World's End.  He convinces his four friend's from high school, who haven't spoken in a while to accompany him back to their home town, Newtown Haven, to make this pub crawl that they failed at back in school.  Along the way you discover that there is a lot of Tension with Gary and his friends Andy, played by Nick Frost, Peter played by Eddie Marsen, Oliver played by Martin Freeman, and Steven played by Patty Considine.  Also in the mix is Oliver's sister Sam, played by Rosamund Pike, who Gary hooked up with during the previous pub crawl attempt.  Along the way they discover that the town has been taken over by aliens in robot bodies that are filled with blue ink.  The question is will Gary and the crew survive the night, be able to save the town from the alien invasion, and finish the pub crawl by making it to The World's end.
This movie had the humor that I was expecting and there were a lot of jokes that I liked.  I think that it took a while to get going in the story and I feel like the set up was spoon fed a little too much.  It was told a few times and just one of these times would have been sufficient.  Once the pub crawl gets going is when the movie picks up for me.  I think that taking a lot of the backstory of the characters out would have been better, as it really isn't needed in the main story of the movie, I think without some of this stuff it would have flown better and really who needs a in depth set up for these movies.  Telling us about the conflict throughout the movie would have been enough.  I really liked Nick Frost in this movie, and for me he really stuck out. Usually I prefer Simon Pegg as I really like him as a comedian and actor, but in this movie it was really Frost who stood out.  This might be because there wasn't anything that I really liked about Gary as a character and Frost was more of the character you rooted for, instead of being the daft side kick.  Going in I was expecting it to be more focused on the alien factor but the movie was more about the people being replaced by robots by the aliens then about the aliens taking over.  I would have also liked it better if they were full of green liquid instead of blue, as green is more symbolic of aliens then blue, this also would have linked better to the Cornetto flavor.  I didn't really like how they incorporated the Cornetto into the movie, and would have like it better if it was incorporated similarly to the other movies, it seemed more just thrown in just because it needed to be.
Overall, I liked this movie and it definitely worth seeing if you are a fan of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright films.  I would recommend watching all of the trilogy.

My Rating: 3-

No comments:

Post a Comment